Experience The Mountain Parks Blog
...all about the Alberta-to-British Columbia mountain parks, including life in and around the parks. Not all our news and stories are here, though, so you might want to check our news section and Bob's "tweets" —conveniently placed in the upper right of each page.
Back on June 23, 2012, we talked about the fourth annual Jasper Motorcycle Run.
Guess what? They extended their early bird registration to July 31, 2012, so you'e got only three days left!
Make sure not to miss this amazing opportunity. To register for this year's Motorcycle Run, please visit www.JasperMotorcycleRun.com.
Parks Canada released on August 30, 2011 their "Visitor Experience Bulletin" announcing:
Lake Louise, Alberta, August 30, 2011 – Just in time to witness Banff National Park’s opulent yellow-gold larch needles, the Lake Louise Fall Festival will return for its second year from September 1 to October 10.
At a time of year when the weather is still warm and the rich colours of larch needles, pristine glaciers, alpine lakes and high mountain peaks dot the landscape, the fall experience for hikers, photographers and nature lovers in Lake Louise, Banff National Park, is truly unforgettable.
To mark the occasion, this year Parks Canada is offering free photography workshops and a Circle of Life Series aimed at exploring the park during this transitional season. The Top 5 Larch Hikes in Lake Louise brochure will also be available at the Parks Canada Visitor Centre in Lake Louise for those who want to add a local’s recommended hike to their bucket list of conquered trails.
Also continuing into September is Parks Canada’s new and wildly popular Xplorer Program, providing kids and their families the opportunity to discover cool facts about Canada’s first national park via a bevy of fun activities, events and programs in Lake Louise. After completing six activities, kids receive a souvenir and a certificate recognizing them as an official Xplorer Club for Kids member.
Don’t forget to take your camera while sightseeing this fall in Lake Louise to be able to enter Parks Canada photo contest! Submit your 2011 best fall snapshot by October 5 for a chance to win great prizes, including the opportunity for your picture to be featured in the 2012 Lake Louise Fall Festival.
Visitors to Lake Louise may also come across roving Parks Canada interpreters. Armed with animal hides, horns, antlers, rocks and other gems, interpreters are ready to answer questions about the wildlife and geology of the Lake Louise area. Program times during the Fall Fest are:
• Bears Around Lake Louise, September 10, 2 p.m
• A Bug’s Opinion of the Water Quality in Banff National Park, September 17, 1 p.m.
• It’s All About the Composition Photo Workshop, September 17 and 24, 9 a.m.
• It’s All About the Light Photo Workshop, September 25 and October 2, 9 a.m.
We, at CMI Publishing, took the opportunity of publishing a 2011 Experience The Mountain Parks wall calendar, using your amazing shots!
So, here are the lucky selected for this first edition:
Stay tuned for a lot more exciting coming news.
- One of our contest winners is receiving (part of) his prize at the Camera Store in Calgary
- Town of Black Diamond to host the first Tour of Alberta
- Banff Visitor Centre pays tribute to its cultural history
- Getting Off The Grid. Great for Adventure Lovers!
- And the second place in the Friends & Family category goes to...
- And the second place in the Videos category of our 2012 RECESS IS BACK readers' contest goes to...
- And the second place in the Landscapes and Sunsets category of our 2012 RECESS IS BACK readers' contest goes to...
- And the second place in the Wildlife & Flowers category goes to...
- And the winners of our 2012/2013 Photos and Videos Contest are...
- 2012/2013 Photos/Videos Contest