Experience The Mountain Parks Blog
...all about the Alberta-to-British Columbia mountain parks, including life in and around the parks. Not all our news and stories are here, though, so you might want to check our news section and Bob's "tweets" —conveniently placed in the upper right of each page.
Cranbrook artist, Joseph Cross, received some good news regarding his second
painting in the series on Mt. Assiniboine Provincial Park. “Mt. Assiniboine
Reflection” was submitted to International Artist Magazine Challenge #63 "Seascapes, Rivers & Lakes" competition. He received an e-mail from the
publisher of the magazine saying “Congratulations!” The magazine issue #79
June/July features this painting and a write-up on Joseph.
International Artist magazine is the premier magazine for artists, galleries and agents around the world. Joseph has been featured in International Artist magazine several times:
- April 2001 “Treasures at Turquoise Bay” placed 2nd in their seascape competition;
- April/May 2002 as one of four artists in “Master Painters of the World: Canada Showcase”;
- 2002 Pastel Artist International Magazine issue #13 featured a seven-page article on his work; and
- April/May 2005 issue of International Artist Magazine featured an eight-page article on Joseph’s work.
As Joseph had not submitted for a competition in this magazine for several years, it was a tremendous surprise to have his work, and especially this painting, receive such international recognition.
This award has sparked a lot of interest in the
limited edition giclees that are available for sale in support of BC Parks
through the Park Enhancement Fund. Each sale of the limited edition giclees
helps to support this cause. The giclées are available for purchase at the
- Joseph Cross Art Studio, Cranbrook, BC – 250-489-4412, e-mail, or website
- Fisher Peak Art Gallery, Cranbrook, BC – 250-489-4702
- Village Arts Artisan Co-op, Invermere, BC – 250-342-615
BC Parks is a proud partner on this very worthwhile fundraising initiative and is working with the Crosses to share information about and promote this project, and to announce the completion of each painting. The information is posted on the BC Parks website.
“This painting is representative of the view from Sunburst cabin window. Many times we would look out the window and say “pinch me – I think I’m dreaming”. The view from the cabin with Mt. Assiniboine reflecting in the clear waters of Sunburst Lake makes it doubly beautiful.” says Cross.
From Sharon’s Journal: “Sitting on the porch of Sunburst cabin is a peaceful retreat. Silence is broken by the laps of water on the beach and the occasional interruption of pine siskins, chickadees, or gray jays. There is a slight breeze this morning and I can hear it rushing along the tree tops. The sound collecting in a soft whir that extends for miles. No longer the deafening silence, but an awakening of spirit.”
- Banff Visitor Centre pays tribute to its cultural history
- Getting Off The Grid. Great for Adventure Lovers!
- And the second place in the Friends & Family category goes to...
- And the second place in the Videos category of our 2012 RECESS IS BACK readers' contest goes to...
- And the second place in the Landscapes and Sunsets category of our 2012 RECESS IS BACK readers' contest goes to...
- And the second place in the Wildlife & Flowers category goes to...
- And the winners of our 2012/2013 Photos and Videos Contest are...
- 2012/2013 Photos/Videos Contest
- oTENTiks are coming to a mountain park near you!
- Submissions to our 2012/2013 Photos/Videos Contest are now over...